Home Schooling

ARS§ 15-802.A. states that every child between the ages of six and sixteen years shall attend a school and shall be provided instruction in at least the subjects of reading, grammar, mathematics, social studies and science. The person who has custody of the child shall choose a public, private, charter or home school.

Withdrawal Form
In order for the Department of Education to ensure that laws applying to schools are implemented as prescribed by lay, the Department of Education hereby established pupil withdrawal and LEA compliance guidelines and may conduct pupil withdrawal and LEA compliance audits. The student withdrawal form must be completed when permitting a child to be home schooled. The withdrawl form must be filed with the current, or last attended school the child attended.

If the parent/guardian of the child chooses home school they must file an "Affidavit of Intent" with the County School Superintendent’s Office within 30 days from the time the child begins home schooling. Your signature must be notarized on the affidavit. If home schooling of the child is terminated the parent/guardian must notify the County School Superintendent’s Office within 30 days. Should the child go back to home school the parent/guardian must file a new affidavit with the County School Superintendent’s Office. Print the form, available by clicking "Affidavit" below, and fill it out. Return it to the Gila County School Superintendent’s Office.

Certified Birth Certificate
A copy of the child’s birth certificate must be filed along with the affidavit. A hospital birth record IS NOT a certified birth certificate. A certified birth certificate is issued by the state in which the child is born and can be obtained from the Department of Vital Records or Department of Health. To reach the ARIZONA Vital Records Office call 602-364-1300 or by mail Arizona Vital Records, P. O. Box 3887, Phoenix, Arizona 85030. You may also find Vital Records Information from any state or country at vitalrec.com  

If you are a guardian or have legal custody of a child and you do not have their birth certificate, you may substitute other forms of identification.  Refer to ARS§15-828 Birth certificate; school records; exception for more information.

Interscholastic Activities
ARS§15-802.01.A. Notwithstanding any other law, a child who resides within the attendance area of a public school and who is instructed at home shall be allowed to try out for interscholastic activities on behalf of the public school in the same manner as a pupil who is enrolled in that public school. Registration, age eligibility requirements, fees, insurance, transportation, physical condition, qualifications, responsibilities, event schedules, standard of behavior and performance policies for home schooled students shall be consistent with those policies established for students enrolled in that public school. B. A child who is instructed at home and who was previously enrolled in a school shall be ineligible to participate in interscholastic activities for the remainder of the school year during which the child was enrolled in a school.

The county school superintendent’s office does not provide testing for home schooled students. Pursuant to ARS§15-745B. A child who enrolls in a kindergarten program or grades one through twelve after receiving instruction in a home school program shall be tested pursuant to this article in order to determine the appropriate grade level for the educational placement of the child.

Students can test in their Home School District. Parents are encouraged to put in writing and send to the school Testing Coordinator, so they know that your home school child is going to be tested.

Other Information Sources

Pupil Withdrawal and LEA Compliance

Affidavit of intent Home School

Arizona Families for Home Education
P.O. Box 2035
Chandler, AZ 85244-2035
Phone: 602-235-2673

Office Contact Person

For questions or more information please contact:

Cindy Fisher-Smith
1400 E. Ash St.
Globe, AZ 85501
(928) 402-8783