Tonto National Forest offices and developed recreation sites closed until further notice
Still open: Trails, dispersed recreation sites, commercial marinas,
and concessionaire-operated campgrounds (Payson Ranger District)
Phoenix (October 2, 2013) – Due to the lapse in federal government funding, all offices and developed recreation sites on the Tonto National Forest are closed and will remain closed until further notice.
While general forest access is open, the following areas are closed and public services and maintenance are not being provided:
- Forest Supervisor’s Office
- Ranger district offices
- All developed recreation sites on the forest such as campgrounds, boat launches, and picnic sites.
The following areas are open during this shutdown and will remain open until further notice:
- Trails and dispersed recreation sites
- All commercial marinas (Apache Lake, Roosevelt Lake, Canyon Lake, Saguaro Lake, Bartlett Lake)
- Concessionaire-operated campgrounds (Ponderosa, Christopher Creek, Sharp Creek and Houston Mesa campgrounds).
Please refer to the Tonto National Forest website until further information is made available: http://www.fs.usda.gov/tonto/ or call 602-225-5200 for general TNF closure message.